Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 7/20/2005

Murders This Week: 6
Murders This Year: 152

On July 6 at 11:30a.m. James Royster, a 58-year-old African-American man, got in a fight in the 1800 block of North Bond Street in the Oliver neighborhood, just around the corner from the Great Blacks in Wax Museum. He was badly beaten and taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was removed from life support on July 13. He died the next day at 4:55 a.m.


Wednesday, July 13

3:41 a.m. A four-door Chrysler New Yorker was found parked in the first block of North Culver Street near Saint Joseph Monastery in Southwest Baltimore. The door was open, the headlights were on, and the radio was blaring. Inside the car Keith Butler, a 23-year-old African-American man, lay on his back, bleeding. He had been shot in the head, and was pronounced dead on the scene.


Thursday, July 14

11:15 p.m. Eugene Carr, a 23-year-old African-American man, was riding a bike in the 2800 block of Prospect Street in West Baltimore’s Mosher neighborhood. A man approached him and shot him in the head. He was taken to Shock Trauma and pronounced dead at 11:51 p.m.


Friday, July 15

6:55 a.m. Police got a call for a shooting in the first block of Benkert Street, just two blocks from where Keith Butler was killed two days earlier. When they arrived, Desean Dorsey, a 28-year-old African-American man, had already been pronounced dead by medics. He died from a gunshot to the head.

11:41 p.m. In Midtown-Edmondson, Clinton Young, a 42-year-old African-American man, was shot repeatedly in the 600 block of Pulaski Street. He was pronounced dead at the scene.


Saturday, July 16

10:39 p.m. Damon Wilder, a 21-year-old African-American man, was sitting on a stoop in the 400 block of Whitridge Avenue, a small street off Barclay Street between 27th and 28th streets. A man walked up to him, shot him repeatedly, and left. A three-year-old boy who was nearby was hit by bullet fragments, but survived. Wilder was pronounced dead at the scene.

10:56 p.m. Fifteen minutes later, back in West Baltimore, four teenage boys walked into Pizza Pizza Etc, a carry-out restaurant in the 1300 block of Poplar Grove Street, to buy some food. Two people walked into the restaurant and opened fire on the boys, hitting all four of them. Jawan Lee, a 16-year-old African-American male who lived on the block, fell where he stood. The other three were able to run, and survived their injuries. Lee was taken to Sinai, where he was pronounced dead half an hour later. He is the 21st teenager murdered this year, and the fifth person murdered on the west side of the city in the past four days.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More Stories

Blunderbusted (8/5/2010)
Two Maryland Men indicted in Arizona for illegal machine guns

The Big Hurt (8/4/2010)
Inmate claims gang-tied correctional officer ordered "hit"

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter