Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 8/10/2005

Murders This Week: 6
Murders This Year: 171

The July 17 death of William Staten, a 59-year-old African-American man, has been ruled a homicide more than a year after he was originally shot. On April 21, 2004, Staten swept the sidewalk in front of his home in the 1000 block of North Stricker Street in Sandtown-Winchester. When he was done, he sat down on his steps. A man walked by and dropped an orange peel on the sidewalk, and Staten said something to him. They argued, and the man pulled out a handgun and shot Staten in the stomach. Staten went inside and sat down on his couch. He was eventually taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, treated, and released. He continued to have stomach problems due to the wound, and on July 15 he was taken to Shock Trauma for emergency surgery. He died after more than 24 hours of surgery. Herbert Wyche, a 54-year-old African-American man, was arrested for attempted murder in June 2004. On Aug. 4, 2005 he was charged with first-degree murder.


Monday, Aug. 1

2:25 a.m. Police officers found Craig Crowder, a 34-year-old African-American man from East Baltimore, lying in the middle of the 2300 block of West Baltimore Street. He was standing outside when several men drove up in a station wagon and shot him repeatedly. Crowder was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center but died shortly after he arrived.


Tuesday, Aug. 2

1:12 p.m. Darrell Winston, a 21-year-old African-American man, got into a physical altercation with a woman in the 600 block of North Curley Street. Jene Foreman, a 15-year-old African-American male from Essex, tried to get Winston to let the woman go. Winston and Foreman argued, then Foreman allegedly produced a gun and shot Winston several times. Winston was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he died less than half an hour later. The next day, Foreman was shot a few blocks away from where he argued with Winston, in the 700 block of Kenwood Avenue. He was also taken to Hopkins and survived. He was served with a warrant there on Aug. 5, charging him as an adult with first-degree murder.


Thursday, Aug. 4

2:20 a.m. Police found Gary Robinson, a 28-year-old African-American man, lying in front of a building in the 500 block of Orchard Street in Seton Hill near the intersection of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Route 40. He had been shot in the head and died at Shock Trauma at 11:30 a.m.


Friday, Aug. 5

12:30 a.m. Police drove into the 600 block of Ashburton Street just off Edmondson Avenue in West Baltimore and saw Thomas Mason, a 39-year-old African-American man, lying in the middle of the street. He had been shot several times and died at Shock Trauma half an hour later.


Saturday, Aug. 6

2:50 a.m. Theodore Ross, a 21-year-old African-American man, was at a party in the 3800 block of Cedarhurst Road near Bínai Israel cemetery in Northeast Baltimore. Four men crashed the party and asked for food. They got into an argument with Ross and moved the argument outside to the front yard. One of the men pulled out a gun and shot Ross, who made it as far as the doorway before collapsing. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and died at 3:35 a.m.


Sunday, Aug. 7

6:50 p.m. Paul Talley, an 18-year-old African-American man, was shot in the head several times as he sat in the driverís seat of a maroon Ford Taurus in a parking lot in the 800 block of East 30th Street in Greater Waverly. He died at 7:20 p.m. at Hopkins Hospital. He was about two blocks from home. Talley is the fourth person to be murdered in Better Waverly this year.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter