Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 1/18/2006

Murders THIS WEEK: 10
Murders THIS YEAR: 16

The charges against Gerard Reed, the man suspected of the Dec. 27 murder of 79-year-old Alvester Rozier, have been dropped. On Dec. 26 police requested a warrant for Reed for the attempted murder of Rozier’s son Mathaddeus Rozier, but prosecutors said there was insufficient evidence. The next day, Alvester Rozier was murdered in his home, and Reed was charged with the murder (Murder Ink, Jan. 11). On Jan. 12, the State’s Attorney’s Office dropped the charges against Reed, and that same day, Mathaddeus Rozier was charged with the murder of his father. He was charged with the Dec. 27 murder of 15-year-old Travis Harris, too.


Monday, Jan. 19

3:15 p.m. Ronald Kinzer, a 33-year-old African-American man from Columbia, went to a gas station at the corner of Edmondson Avenue and Franklintown Road to wash his car. He pulled into the self-wash area and got out of his car to make change. When he returned to his car someone approached him. Kinzer saw the person and started running. The person chased Kinzer, shot him repeatedly, and ran off. Kinzer was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center but died at 6:10 p.m.

8:30 p.m. Later that night Cornell Lemon, a 23-year-old African-American man, was found shot in the chest in a house in the 100 block of South Monastery Avenue in Southwest Baltimore’s Saint Josephs neighborhood. He was walking toward the house when three men parked in the alley behind it attacked him. Police believe it may have been a robbery. Lemon was taken to Saint Agnes Hospital, where he died less than an hour later.

Friday, Jan. 13

2 a.m. Police found a man beaten to death in his home in the 200 block of North Bruce Street in Franklin Square. Police arrested the victim’s roommate, who said that the victim asked him for money on Wednesday night. When the roommate refused, the two started fighting, and the roommate hit the victim several times with a drywall hammer. Police are withholding the name of both the victim and the suspect until the victim’s family has been notified of his death.

9:53 a.m. Jimmy Sabb, a 17-year-old African-American male, left his house in the 3100 block of Woodland Avenue in Central Park Heights. Two men came up to him, and they spoke for a few minutes before shots were fired and Sabb collapsed. At least one of the men went through Sabb’s pockets before leaving the scene. Sabb was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he died half an hour later.

8:05 p.m. That night, two African-American men were shot in the 2200 block of Aiken Street in East Baltimore Midway. One was found lying on the sidewalk with numerous gunshot wounds. The other was lying in the street and had been shot at least once in the head. They were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where they both died just after 8:30 p.m. Their names will not be released until their families have been notified of their murders.

10:11 p.m. Henry Ireland, a 56-year-old African-American man, was found on the sidewalk at the corner of East Preston and North Bradford streets. He was taken to Hopkins and was in critical condition as a result of blunt-force trauma to his head. He died there on Jan. 15 at 1:54 a.m.

Saturday, Jan. 14

3:35 p.m. Robert Richardson, a 26-year-old African-American man, was beaten by several men in the 1800 block of West Lombard Street in Carrollton Ridge. The men hit and kicked Richardson, and one of them hit him in the head with a baseball bat. He was taken to Bon Secours Hospital by someone in the area but was transferred to Shock Trauma due to the seriousness of his injuries. He died there just after midnight Jan. 15.


Sunday, Jan. 15

4:24 p.m. A police officer in a patrol car was at the intersection of Riggs and Calhoun streets in Sandtown-Winchester when he heard gunshots. A block away he saw an African-American man in a black flight jacket and skullcap shooting Edward Brown, a 24-year-old African-American man from Cherry Hill. The man stopped shooting, turned toward the officer with the gun still in his hand, and then ran. The officer chased the man but lost him. A black flight jacket and skullcap were found discarded on Calhoun Street. Brown was taken to Shock Trauma, where he died less than half an hour later.

9:28 p.m.Five hours later in Greektown, a group of men with guns entered La Bahia, a Honduran restaurant in 400 block of South Newkirk Street, and told everyone to get down on the floor. Jose Mendoza, a 40-year-old Hispanic man who lived nearby, struggled with one of the men, who was wielding a shotgun. One of the other men shot Mendoza in the head. All of the men then fled the restaurant without taking anything. Mendoza was the 16th person murdered in the first 15 days of 2006.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More Stories

Blunderbusted (8/5/2010)
Two Maryland Men indicted in Arizona for illegal machine guns

The Big Hurt (8/4/2010)
Inmate claims gang-tied correctional officer ordered "hit"

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter