Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 3/29/2006

Murders This Week: 5
Murders This Year: 59

A death that occurred earlier this month was ruled a murder this week. On March 7, at 11:55 p.m., Gregory Rollins, a 41-year-old African-American man, was at his home in the 500 block of Mosher Street in Upton with his girlfriend and his two daughters. Rollins and his girlfriend, Iletha Murdaugh, a 44-year-old African-American woman, got into an argument about an ex-girlfriend. Murdaugh went down to the basement to get some of her things. Rollins followed. A shot was fired, and Rollins was found on the floor with a gun beside him. He had been shot once in the head. He died less than an hour later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Rollins had a history of depression and had tried to commit suicide before. According to Murdaugh, Rollins put the handgun to his head and shot himself. But on March 23 the medical examiner ruled that the wound was not self-inflicted. Murdaugh has been arrested for Rollins murder.

Tuesday, March 21

5 a.m. Lee Tatum, a 73-year-old African-American man, was stabbed at his home in the 400 block of East 25th Street, off Greenmount Avenue. He died at Johns Hopkins Hospital two days later. Tatumís neighbor Dana White, a 51-year-old African-American man, confessed to his murder. According to police he stabbed him with a knife during a drunken argument.

Wednesday, March 22

2:10 a.m. Lenard Hawkins, a 22-year-old African-American man, was standing outside a house in the 2300 block of Lauretta Avenue with two friends when a person ran down the block and started shooting at him. Hawkins ran, but he was shot in the back and collapsed. The shooter ran back down the block, got into a blue car, and fled. The two friends were unharmed. Hawkins was taken to Shock Trauma, where he died 20 minutes later.

10:37 p.m. That night in Westport, police found Carlos Lewis, a 21-year-old African-American man, lying in the street at the intersection of Cedley Street and Wenburn Avenue. He had been shot in the head and died at Shock Trauma at 2:27 a.m. the next day.

Thursday, March 23

12:10 a.m. Police got a call for a rape in the 700 block of Woodbourne Avenue off York Road. When they arrived a person they spoke with said he had seen Shawnisha Biggus, a 17-year-old African-American girl, talking to a man. Biggus and the man got into an argument that turned physical. The man then dragged Biggus through a wooded area and into a field where he stabbed her repeatedly. Police chased the suspect, but he got away. Biggus, who was not raped, died an hour later at Hopkins Hospital. Biggus is the seventh female homicide victim this year and the third under the age of 18.

Saturday, March 25

1:25 a.m. Darren Green, a 21-year-old African-American man, was inside a home in the 1200 block of Maple Leaf Court near Hopkins Hospital when someone he knew came in and shot him. He died at 1:49 a.m. at Hopkins. Police believe that Green was murdered because of an ongoing dispute over drug proceeds. Green is the second person murdered this month in the Oldtown neighborhood.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter