A Fatal Mistake-About noon on Wednesday, Mrs. Robinson, a lady who resides in Lancaster street near Apple alley, committed a fatal mistake, in administering some laudanum to her little child, between four and five months old. About four o’clock, it was found that the child was laboring under the effects of the opiate, and Dr. Dashiell was called in, but too late to preserve its life, as congestion of the brain had taken place. The draught of laudanum had been too large, and it died before ten o’clock at night. This should prove a salutary caution to mothers who in many instances are too ready to dose their little ones with laudanum, paregoric, &c.
Drinking Water, 120 Years Ago This Week
Source: The Baltimore Sun, Aug. 23, 1886
Things in the Water - A phial containing water drawn from a hydrant in the north-western part of the city was left at the office of The Sun on Saturday. Though the water was apparently as clear as spring water, a careful examination revealed the presence in it of a number of minute translucent creatures resembling tadpoles in shape and action. This is the water which many are drinking without filtration or boiling.