Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 11/21/2007

Murders Nov. 5-11: 3
Murders This Week: 4
Murders This Year: 262

Due to an early deadline, last week's column only covered homicides that took place Nov. 5-9. This week's column includes murders from Nov. 10-18.

Two deaths were added to the homicide rolls on Nov. 13, both years after the victim was attacked and more than a month since each was ruled a homicide.

On Feb. 19, 1999, Frederick Davis, a 38-year-old African-American man, arrived at his home in the 500 block of North Brice Street in Midtown-Edmondson and told his girlfriend that he had been mugged. She called for an ambulance, and he was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center. There he was rushed to emergency surgery for a massive brain injury. Davis remained under medical care at various hospitals and rehabilitation centers until June 25, 2007, when he died at Laurel Regional Hospital at 7:15 a.m. On Sept. 11, the city medical examiner ruled Davis' death a homicide due to complications from injuries he sustained during the 1999 attack.

On March 24, 1997, Trent Earll, a 25-year-old Caucasian man, was walking in the 4400 block of Belair Road when a man came up to him, pulled out a sawed-off rifle, and demanded Earll's money. Earll told the man that he only had $5 and the gunman shot him once in the back. On Aug. 1 of this year Earll was taken to University of Maryland Hospital to be treated for complications from the shooting. He died there on Sept. 4 at 4 p.m. Earll's death was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner on Oct. 11.

Sunday, Nov. 11

5:34 p.m. Police officers were patrolling in East Baltimore when they heard shots coming from the 2600 block of Grogan Avenue. A woman ran up to them screaming that her baby had been shot. Police found Carlos Smithson, a 22-year-old African-American man, inside a house. He had been shot in the upper body. He died at Johns Hopkins Hospital half an hour later.

Monday, Nov. 12

3:18 p.m. John Morris, a 42-year-old African-American man, was found shot in the upper body in a car in the 700 block of Baker Street in Sandtown-Winchester. He died at Shock Trauma an hour later.

Thursday, Nov. 15

2:31 a.m. Two teenagers were shot in a house in the 7100 block of McClean Boulevard near the Perring Parkway Shopping Center. An African-American male in his late teens was shot in the upper back but survived. Kendrick Bowman, a 17-year-old African-American male, was shot in the head and died at Sinai Hospital at 5:50 a.m. Forty-eight teenagers have been murdered in Baltimore City this year, and half of them have been minors. Leroy Smith, a 33-year-old African-American man, was arrested that day at the scene of the shooting.

10:23 p.m. Police tried to pull over a white van in the 3300 block of East Monument Street. The driver jumped out of the car and ran. Police chased him on foot but lost him. Members of the SWAT team were on patrol in the area and began canvassing for the driver. In the 600 block of North Bouldin Street, the man, whom police have identified as Ron Jones, a 21-year-old African-American man, allegedly started firing at the police from underneath a minivan parked in the block. One officer was hit in the leg. Another officer then fired back, hitting Jones several times in the upper body. The officer who was shot was taken to Shock Trauma with non-life-threatening injuries. Jones was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting. This is the second fatal police-involved shooting in three weeks. There have been 31 police-involved shootings this year; 12 have been fatal.

Friday, Nov. 16

4:30 p.m. Herbert Lemon, a 31-year-old African-American man, was found lying in the middle of the street in the 3000 block of Rosalind Avenue in Cylburn. He had been shot repeatedly in the chest and legs and died at Sinai Hospital at 5:46 p.m. People in the area heard shots and saw a black car with dark tinted windows speeding away from the scene.


On Nov. 9, Johnny James Smith, a 21-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to the April 2 murder of Darrell Smith, a 21-year-old African-American man. The two men are not related. According to the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office, Johnny James Smith shot Darrell Smith several times at close range as they were leaving the home of Johnny James Smith's girlfriend. Darrell Smith was sentenced to 30 years in prison, the first five without the possibility of parole.

On Nov. 10, police saw Brandon Snead, a 22-year-old African-American man, in the 1000 block of North Broadway. Snead was wanted for the Nov. 4 murder of Norman Smith, a 30-year-old African-American man, in that same block. Police chased Snead and arrested him. According to police, Snead had to be taken to the hospital for injuries he sustained while resisting arrest.

Lewis Lucas, a 23-year-old African-American man, was arrested at his probation office in Baltimore County on Nov. 15 and charged with shooting 17-year-old African-American male Lawrence Jones to death on Nov. 2.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter