Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 5/7/2008

Murders This Week: 5
Murders This Year: 65

Thursday, May 1

1:20 a.m. After nine days without a homicide in Baltimore City, an African-American man was found lying on the sidewalk in the 4100 block of Newbern Avenue near the Rogers Avenue Metro Station in Northwest Baltimore. The man had been shot numerous times throughout his body and died at Sinai Hospital at 2:02 a.m. Police are waiting until the victim's family has been notified of his death to release his name.

Friday, May 2

9:02 p.m. A 73-year-old African-American man from Central Park Heights died at Sinai Hospital. The man, who is identified in police reports as both Ellsworth Monroe-Bey and Monroe Ellsworth, was found lying half in the street in the 3900 block of West Belvedere Avenue near the Northwestern District police station at 11:20 p.m. on April 25. According to witnesses, a group of six or seven males came up to Monroe-Bey while he was standing on the sidewalk. One of the males hit Monroe-Bey in the head, knocking him to the ground. Once he was down the entire group hit and punched him. After a few minutes the group ran off, but two of the males came back and stole Monroe-Bey's wallet. He had suffered serious head trauma, and when he was taken off life support a week after the beating he died. Monroe-Bey is the second person in his or her 70s to be murdered in two weeks.

Saturday, May 3

1:01 a.m. Dawn Shipley, a 29-year-old Caucasian woman, was walking with a male friend in the 500 block of Brunswick Street in Southwest Baltimore's Mill Hill neighborhood. A man approached and asked Shipley's friend for a cigarette. The friend was about to give him one, but Shipley told him not to. She and the man started arguing, and he pulled a handgun out of his pants and shot her in the head several times. Her friend wasn't shot. Shipley was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where she died less than an hour later. She is the 12th female murdered this year.

Sunday, May 4

1:54 a.m. Sean Henderson, a 35-year-old African-American man, left a bar in the 3200 block of Belair Road with a friend. Someone approached them, pulled out a handgun, and shot them both. Henderson was hit repeatedly and died at Johns Hopkins Hospital at 2:31 a.m. His friend was taken to a hospital in stable condition and is expected to live. Henderson is the fifth person murdered in Belair-Edison this year.

7:21 a.m. That morning, someone called 911 saying that a man was lying in a backyard behind the 2100 block of Orleans Street near Hopkins Hospital. According to the caller, the person was bleeding and might be dead. When police arrived they found an African-American man in his 20s. He had been shot in the head and was dead. The man has not yet been identified.


On April 28, Crystal Newby, a 22-year-old African-American woman, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter for the murder of Qasim Kabah, a 29-year-old African-American man. Kabah was found lying in a pool of blood in his Cherry Hill home just after midnight on Sept. 15, 2007. According to charging documents, Newby came over to Kabah's house on Sept. 14, 2007, because he owed her money. She illegally sold him an handgun, but he had only paid half of what he owed on it. Newby and Kabah argued and then began fighting. Newby pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed Kabah, puncturing his heart. Newby was sentenced to two years in prison and four years of probation.

All the charges against Montay Jackson, a 35-year-old African-American man, were dropped April 30. Jackson was charged with the murder of Charles Erdman, a 65-year-old Caucasian man. On March 3, 2007, Erdman got into a minor traffic accident on Erdman Avenue near the auto-parts store where he worked. Erdman got out of his car to get the other driver's information when that driver, who was in a stolen car, ran Erdman over. The driver dragged Erdman for 40 feet and then ran over him again when he came loose. Erdman died six days later from his extensive injuries. Jackson was arrested for the crime on Sept. 24, 2007. According to Baltimore State's Attorney's Office spokeswoman Margaret Burns, "the state had insufficient evidence to proceed," as it was unable to find the stolen car and did not have witnesses who saw Jackson driving the car.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter