Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 5/21/2008

Murders This Week: 6
Murders This Year: 76

As of this week, there were nine fatalities resulting from police-involved shootings this year--that's nearly twice as many fatal police-involved shootings as there were in 2006. Haywood Rhodes, a 28-year-old African-American man, was shot by police on May 2 in the 2700 block of Lauretta Avenue. He died this week. At press time, police would not release further details.

Wednesday, May 14

8:45 p.m. A patrol officer heard gunshots coming from the Perkins Homes public-housing community in East Baltimore. As she approached, the officer allegedly saw Marvin Lucas, a 21-year-old African-American man, shooting at another man in the 300 block of South Dallas Court. Lucas was shot in the chest and collapsed. The other man, who had been shot in the leg, was sitting on the sidewalk. The officer ordered him not to move, but he crawled over to a car driven by a woman and they fled the scene. Lucas was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he died at 9:24 p.m. The woman driving the car dropped the other man off at Hopkins Hospital. His wounds were not life threatening. A third person, an 18-year-old African-American man sitting on his front porch during the shooting, was hit in the leg with a stray bullet from the shootout. He survived.

Thursday, May 15

6:07 p.m. Four African-American men were standing on the corner of North Port Street and North Avenue near the Baltimore Cemetery when one or more people came up to them and started shooting. Tony Allen, a 52-year-old African-American man, was shot in the chest several times and died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center at 7:59 p.m. The other men, ranging from 27 to 46 years old, were also shot and were taken to area hospitals. They survived.

9:32 p.m. A few hours later, Marcellus Hall, a 20-year-old African-American man, was found lying in the 1500 block of North Mount Street in Sandtown-Winchester. He had been shot and died at Shock Trauma half an hour later.

Friday, May 16

9:15 a.m. An unidentified man was shot repeatedly in the head behind the 4200 block of Colborne Road near the Edmondson Village Shopping Center. He died before he could be taken to the hospital. This is the 13th murder in the Southwestern District this year, currently the most murderous police district in the city.

Saturday, May 17

6:05 p.m. Valerie Barnes, an 18-year-old African-American woman, was in a house in the 800 block of Pontiac Avenue in Brooklyn with two other people when a female entered the house with a gun. The female shot Barnes numerous times and then ran out of the house. Barnes went outside to try and get help, and her neighbors called 911. She died at Shock Trauma four hours later. Barnes is the 13th female murdered in Baltimore City this year.

Sunday, May 18

12:15 a.m. Jeffrey Gause, a 42-year-old African-American man, was sitting in the driver's seat of his PT Cruiser in the 1700 block of Hollins Street in West Baltimore's Union Square neighborhood. Someone came up and shot Gause repeatedly through the back window of the car. Gause died at Shock Trauma at 12:55 a.m.


Tracy Asbury, a 37-year-old Caucasian woman, pleaded guilty on May 14 to the murder of Philip Airey, a 36-year-old Caucasian man from Glen Burnie. According to the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office, firefighters in Anne Arundel County were called to the I-295 off-ramp for West Nursery Road for a car fire on June 20, 2007. When they arrived they found the car and saw that its license plates and gas cap had been removed and that there was burning around the car. When they opened the trunk they found Airey's decomposed body. Airey's mother reported him missing the day before. She last saw him on June 18 right before he went to meet Asbury at a nearby bar. The two spent several hours drinking and playing pool. Asbury left the bar alone after midnight. She called Michael Martin, 28-year-old Caucasian man, and Robert Speake, 19-year-old Caucasian man. She then called Airey repeatedly. Airey went to a house in the 4800 block of Pennington Avenue in Curtis Bay. Once inside, he was punched and kicked. The beating continued in the basement of the house, where Airey was fatally stabbed. Witnesses said that Asbury had planned the attack weeks before. On April 7, Speake pleaded guilty to the murder and agreed to testify against Asbury. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison. Martin's proceedings are ongoing.

On May 16, Anthony Monroe, a 28-year-old African-American man, was sentenced to life in prison plus 25 years for the murder of Milan Walker, a 30-year-old African-American man. Walker was shot to death on Jan. 20, 2007, in the 1000 block of East Baltimore Street across from police headquarters in the middle of the afternoon.

Ernest Knox, a 25-year-old African-American man who also goes by the name Donnell Williams, was sentenced to 120 years in prison on May 16 for the murder of Cecil Saunders, a 27-year-old African-American man. Leanile Collins, a 30-year-old African-American man, and Demetrius Williams, a 19-year-old African-American man, had been charged with assault and were sentenced to 35 years and 45 years respectively in relation to Saunders' death. Saunders was beaten to death in a stairwell at the Executive Inn in the 3600 block of Pulaski Highway on Aug.9, 2006. According to the State's Attorney's Office, Knox kicked Saunders 35 times. Williams and Collins also assaulted Saunders.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter