Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 6/11/2008

Murders This Week: 3
Murders This Year: 84

Monday, June 2

8:30 p.m. Derrell Smith, a 22-year-old African-American man, was sitting on the porch of an apartment building in the 3100 block of Clifton Avenue in Walbrook with a 21-year-old African-American man. Two young African-American males allegedly walked up to Smith and his friend and said, "Let's squash this," and then began shooting. Smith was hit in the body and neck. His friend was shot in the leg. Smith died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center at 11 p.m.; his friend survived.

Tuesday, June 3

3 a.m. Police were called to the 4100 block of Rockfield Avenue near the Rogers Avenue subway stop for a report of shots fired. When they arrived they found a blue Honda Civic still running. The passenger-side window was shot out. Tyrone Wells, a 33-year-old African-American man, sat in the driver's seat. He had been shot repeatedly in the head and neck, and was pronounced dead a few minutes later.

Saturday, June 7

1:39 a.m. Police found Darrien Brown, a 19-year-old African-American man, lying on the sidewalk in the 2000 block of East North Avenue. He had been shot and died at Johns Hopkins Hospital at 2:15 a.m. Brown is the 19th teenager murdered in Baltimore City this year.


On May 30, Tavon Henson, an 18-year-old African-American man, was charged with Darius Bunch's murder. Bunch was shot numerous times in the 800 block of North Franklintown Road on April 1. Henson was already in the Baltimore City Detention Center when he was charged with Bunch's murder.

Kenneth Megginson, a 25-year-old African-American man, was sentenced to 35 years in prison on June 4. In March, Megginson was convicted of the Oct. 31, 2006, murder of Gregory Welsh, a 32-year-old Caucasian man. According to the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office, Megginson and Welsh got into an argument over drugs at Welsh's house in the 6000 block of Marluth Avenue. Megginson vowed to return for Welsh and his family. Police were called to Welsh's house, and he told police that he had been in a fight with two men, one of whom cut his face with a bottle. Welsh refused to give the police the men's names and refused medical attention. Later that day, Megginson came back to Welsh's home and shot Welsh repeatedly, killing him. Kenneth Brown, a 29-year-old African-American man, was also arrested for the incident. He pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was sentenced to two years in prison.

Also on June 4, Ray Lucky Williams, a 46-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to witness intimidation and second-degree murder. On April 11, 2006, police found Charles Sparrow, a 53-year-old Caucasian man, lying on the bathroom floor in his home in the 1200 block of Glyndon Avenue. According to court documents, Williams and Sparrow had been in an argument for several days over some property Sparrow allegedly stole from Williams. When Sparrow went upstairs to use the bathroom, Williams followed. There was yelling, and Williams fatally stabbed Sparrow in the back. Williams was sentenced to nine years for the intimidation charge and 30 years with 21 years suspended for Sparrow's murder. The two sentences will be served at the same time, so essentially Williams was sentenced to nine years in prison.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter