Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 9/24/2008

Murders Sept. 8-Sept. 14: 6
Murders This Week: 1
Murders This Year: 159

Murder Ink did not run in last week's Best of Baltimore issue, so this week's column covers homicides from Sept. 8 through Sept. 21. The Baltimore Police Department's official homicide tally as of Monday, Sept. 22, is 158; this column counts 159 homicides. As of press time, the police were unable to account for the discrepancy.

The death of Dominic Faw was added to the homicide rolls this week. On Oct. 1, 1995, Faw, an African-American male who was 16 at the time, was shot in the back in the 200 block of North Eutaw Street. The shooting left him a paraplegic. He died on March 22 of this year from kidney failure and sepsis caused by multiple bedsores. At the end of August, the city medical examiner ruled Faw's death to be a result of complications from the 1995 shooting.

Monday, Sept. 8

10:38 p.m. Demarco Brown Jr., a 25-year-old African-American man, was sitting on the front steps of a building in the 800 block of North Milton Avenue in East Baltimore when he was shot repeatedly in the head and body. He died at an area hospital just after midnight.

Tuesday, Sept. 9

9:20 p.m. A gray car pulled into the 2000 block of Boone Street near Green Mount Cemetery. Individuals got out of the car and opened fire on six people in the block. The shooters then got back into the car and drove off. All six people were shot; five survived. Robert Wilson, a 23-year-old African-American man who lived in the block, died at an area hospital at 9:52 p.m. He had been shot several times in the side, with bullets piercing his heart and liver.

Thursday, Sept. 11

3:10 p.m. Police were called to a home in the 1500 block of Wadsworth Way near the Mount Pleasant Golf Course for a shooting. When they arrived they found Darien Sawyer, a 29-year-old African-American man, shot twice in the upper torso on the front porch. Jeffrey Brown, a 34-year-old African-American man, was standing inside the front door. According to police, when officers asked Brown what happened, he said "I did it." A handgun was found inside the home on a sofa. Sawyer was taken to an area hospital, where he died at 3:43 p.m. Brown was taken to the homicide office for questioning where, according to police, he waived his Miranda rights and confessed to shooting Sawyer. According to police, the men were fighting over a woman whom one of them was currently dating and the other had previously dated.

Sunday, Sept. 14

2:20 a.m. Lloyd Melton, a 21-year-old African-American man, was with a group of people at the carry-out at Captain James Landing restaurant on Boston Street in Canton. There was an argument over a woman, which was taken outside. Numerous gunshots were heard. Melton was shot in the upper torso and head and died at an area hospital at 2:47 a.m. Another man walked to the hospital. He had been shot in the legs during the incident but survived.

2:40 a.m. Twenty minutes later, Barry Graham, a 24-year-old African-American man, was in the 700 block of West Lexington Street with three other people. A man walked up the street and shot all four of them and then got into a car and drove off. Graham was shot repeatedly and died. The other three survived.

Monday, Sept. 15

A man was shot and killed by law enforcement this week, but his death is not included in the Baltimore Police Department's homicide or police-involved shooting statistics, so it has not been included in Murder Ink's tally. On Monday, Sept. 15, members of the state Warrant Apprehension Task Force, a unit made up of law-enforcement personnel from jurisdictions throughout Maryland, went to a home in the 1700 block of Fulton Avenue in Sandtown-Winchester to serve a warrant on an individual. According to police, Emory Lewis, a 27-year-old African-American man who was not the suspect that the task force was initially looking for (though there was a warrant out for his arrest for a 2007 Baltimore County homicide), began shooting at the task force agents. Police say he shot two deputies from the Baltimore City Sheriff's Office, an agency that has the same law-enforcement powers as the Baltimore Police Department but does not report to the BPD. A third deputy fired back at Lewis, hitting him. Lewis died before he could be taken to a hospital. The two deputies who were shot were treated at an area hospital and released that day. According to police, Lewis' death is not included in the city's homicide numbers because the shooting was ruled justified. It is also not being included in the Baltimore Police Department's police-involved shooting numbers because the law-enforcement officials involved were not members of the BPD.

Saturday, Sept. 20

1:57 a.m. Former Fourth District City Councilman Kenneth Harris, a 45-year-old African-American man, stopped by the New Haven Lounge in the Northwood Plaza. Harris and Keith Covington, the owner of the club, came out the front door when three men with their faces covered came up to them. The men had guns and wanted to rob the club. Harris tried to run to his car but was shot in the chest as he tried to get in. He started to drive away but lost control of the car and ended up in the grass by a nearby gas station. The men proceeded to rob the New Haven Lounge. Covington shot at the robbers as they fled out the back door. Harris died at an area hospital at 2:40 a.m.


On Sept. 9, Rodney Fray, a 39-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to the murder of Ashley Bellosi, a 23-year-old Caucasian woman. Bellosi and Fray got into an argument at her apartment in the 800 block of St. Paul Street in Mount Vernon on July 7, 2007. Fray beat her severely, fracturing her skull and leaving her with bruises on her face, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, and legs. She died a few days later. Fray was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Tony Hawks, a 30-year-old African-American man, and Eugene Parker, a 33-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty on Sept. 16 to the 2007 murder of Harold Robinson, a 39-year-old African-American man ("Bloodletting," Feature, Jan. 23, 2008) . Dwayne Gwynn, a 35-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to murder for his role in the incident. On Feb. 11, 2007, Hawks, Parker, and Gwynn were at a party at Club International in the 2300 block of West Baltimore Street, where Robinson worked as a bouncer. Someone was thrown out of the party for peeing on the dance floor. Hawks, Parker, and Gwynn decided to retaliate. Hawks and Park went back to the club that night and started shooting, killing Robinson. Two other club employees returned Hawks and Parker's fire as they were trying to run away, hitting both men. Hawks was sentenced to 20 years in prison for Robinson's murder. According to the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office, this is Hawks' second murder conviction. Parker was sentenced to 40 years in prison, the first five of which without the possibility of parole. Gwynn was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter