Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 12/3/2008

Murders This Week: 8
Murders This Year: 214

The man shot to death in the 1100 block of Abbott Court on Nov. 18 has been identified as Donte Graham, a 21-year-old African-American man.

Frederick Ward, a 25-year-old African-American man, died 20 days after he was shot in the head. Ward was found lying on the sidewalk shot in the 2300 block of Barclay Street on Nov. 5. He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and died on Nov. 25.

For the second week in a row, there were more homicides in Baltimore City than there were days in the week.

Tuesday, Nov. 25

12:31 a.m. Voncelle Blackwell, a 26-year-old African-American man, was shot in the 2900 block of Limond Place in Better Waverly. He died at an area hospital at 2:27 a.m.

Wednesday, Nov. 26

8:30 a.m. The day before Thanksgiving, a woman living in an apartment building in the 1000 block of Woodson Road in Lake Walker, near the northern city line, was leaving her apartment. She noticed her neighbor's door was slightly ajar and heard the TV blaring inside his apartment. She called to her neighbor, Alexander Njuguna, a 29-year-old African-American man, but he didn't respond, so she pushed the door open and found him dead on his living room floor. Njuguna had suffered severe head trauma.

8:10 p.m. That night, a 17-year-old African-American male was shot in the head and died behind Doris M. Johnson and Heritage high schools in the 2800 block of St. Lo Drive in Clifton Park. Police are waiting until his family has been notified of his death to release his name.

Sunday, Nov. 30

8:30 p.m. A police officer went to the home of Dawn Williams-Stewart and her husband in the 4000 block of Parkside Drive near Herring Run Park for an assault call. The officer heard arguing inside the house. He kicked in the door to get inside, but heard gunshots and had to retreat. The arguing inside continued and the husband barricaded himself in the house, holding Williams-Stewart, a 41-year-old African-American woman, hostage. At 11:50 p.m. a SWAT team entered the house and found Williams-Stewart shot to death. They also discovered her husband on the back porch hanging from a belt.

According to police, there was a gun in his hand, and he was unconscious but still alive. He was taken to a hospital and will be charged with his wife's murder once he is released. At least 20 people have been murdered as a result of child abuse or domestic violence this year.

10:24 p.m. Police were called to the scene of a multiple shooting in the 4000 block of Oakford Avenue in Northwest Baltimore. They found a man and woman inside a vehicle and a second man outside the car in the middle of the street. All three had been shot numerous times with a high-powered weapon. They were taken to an area hospital where both men died. The woman was seriously injured but is expected to live. A few minutes after police were notified of the shooting, a man was dropped off at another area hospital who had also been shot numerous times in the incident. He also died that night. Police have not yet identified the three men who died.


Mark Lee Johnson, a 27-year-old African-American man, was sentenced to 50 years in prison on Nov. 19 for a Jan. 22, 2006 double shooting that left 21-year-old African-American man Antwoine Armstead dead.

The Baltimore City Grand Jury indicted Jabreria Handy, an 18-year-old African-American female, for second-degree murder Nov. 21. On Oct. 20, Handy allegedly got into physical fight with her grandmother, Eunice Taylor, a 69-year-old African-American woman. Taylor died later that day. Handy was 17 at the time.

Another person involved in the March 13, 2007 shoot out that killed Christopher Clarke, an 18-year-old African-American man, has been sentenced. Antonio Santifer, a 20-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to illegal possession of a handgun on Nov. 14. and was sentenced to three years in prison. Clarke was hit by a stray bullet when Santifer and Jerome Whitaker, a 24-year-old African-American man, got into a gunfight in the 3100 block of Cliftmont Avenue in Belair-Edison. Whitacker was sentenced to 25 years in prison in October.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter