Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 6/24/2009

Murders this Week: 6
Murders this Year: 107

Tuesday, June 16

11:20 p.m. Pierre Alford, a 25-year-old African-American man, was shot in the head inside his home in the 1900 block of Braddish Avenue near Coppin State University. He died at an area hospital just after midnight. This is the fourth murder in Walbrook this year.

Thursday, June 18

9:45 p.m. Police were called to the 600 block of Tunbridge Road in Mid-Govans because of a fight. As the officer drove up, a group of males scattered. A 19-year-old African-American man was lying in the street, stabbed in the chest. A 16-year-old African-American male was also found in the block; he had been stabbed repeatedly in the arm. Both were taken to local hospitals. The 19-year-old died less than an hour later. The 16-year-old survived. According to police, the victim and a group of guys, all of whom lived in the McCabe Avenue area (about three blocks away), were there to fight with a group of guys who lived in the Tunbridge Road area. The fight was in retaliation for the beating of an 18-year-old associated with the McCabe Avenue group. Police are waiting until the 19-year-old's family has been notified of his death to release his name.

Friday, June 19

12:05 a.m. An as-yet-unidentified Hispanic man was found shot on the sidewalk in the 2700 block of East Fayette Street two blocks north of Patterson Park. He died at an area hospital at 12:45 a.m.

Saturday, June 20

1:45 a.m. Six African-American men, ranging in age from 24 to 39, were shot in the 2300 block of East Oliver Street outside Shirley's Honey Hole bar in Broadway East. Five of the men survived, but Edward Patterson, a 39-year-old man who lived in the 3800 block of Rexmere Road behind Stadium Place, was shot in the chest and died shortly after arriving at a local hospital.

Sunday, June 21

11:11 p.m. A man was stabbed in the left shoulder in the 300 block of Charter Oak Avenue. He ran to a nearby house for help and collapsed. The man, whose name is being withheld by police until they contact his family, was taken to a local hospital but died at 2:05 a.m. the next day. This is the second murder in the York Road corridor this week.

11:24 p.m. Thirteen minutes later, back in Broadway East, an unidentified man was found lying in the street in the 1800 block of North Chapel Street shot in the upper body. He died at an area hospital at 11:51 p.m.


The names of the two women killed last week in their home in the 4000 block of Biddison Lane have been released. They were Lydia Steed, a 31-year-old African-American woman, and Allisha Royster, a 23-year-old African-American woman. They were stabbed repeatedly in the back of the head in their apartment. Mark Floyd, a 21-year-old African-American man, was arrested on June 15 for their murder. According to charging documents, Royster and Steed were murdered either on June 6 or 7, though their bodies were not discovered until the 10th. Items had been stolen from them, including a TV, laptop, jewelry, and a car. Police recovered the laptop after Floyd pawned it. According to witnesses, Floyd had previously threatened the women, and the couple had banned him from their home. Floyd confessed to being alone with Steed and Royster on the night they were likely killed but denied stealing any of their things.

Deandre Carroll, a 20-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty on June 16 to murder and attempted-murder charges. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison. Paul Harrison, a 19-year-old African-American man who was referred to as Eugenio Harrison by police, punched Carroll in the face at a gas station on Dec. 2, 2007, after Carroll bumped into him. Carroll whipped out a gun and shot Harrison in the back. The shooting was caught on the gas station's video cameras, and police were able to identify Carroll as the shooter from that footage. Eight months after killing Harrison, another man tried to punch Carroll and he stabbed that man four times in the chest, back, and side. That man survived.

On June 18, Lawrence Gee, a 35-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to the murder of Mary Page, a 63-year-old African-American woman. According to the State's Attorney's Office, Gee dated Page's daughter and the couple lived with Page until she threw them out for stealing and doing drugs. Page's body was found in the basement of her home on Aug. 19, 2006. Her pants and underpants had been removed, and there were signs that she had been strangled, stabbed in the neck, and beaten in the head and face. Gee was charged with rape as well as murder but that charge and others were dropped after his plea. Gee was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Page's daughter Carolyn Redd, an African-American woman in her 40s, was also charged with Page's murder but all the charges against her were dropped last year.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More Stories

Blunderbusted (8/5/2010)
Two Maryland Men indicted in Arizona for illegal machine guns

The Big Hurt (8/4/2010)
Inmate claims gang-tied correctional officer ordered "hit"

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter