Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 12/9/2009

Murders this Week: 9
Murders this Year: 219

Numerous homicides from previous years were added to the rolls this week, dating all the way back to 1994. Tavon Waters, a 23-year-old African-American man, was sitting in a truck in the 2800 block of Boarman Avenue in Northwest Baltimore at 11 a.m. on Oct. 18, 2006. Someone came up behind him and shot him, injuring his spinal cord. He died on April 1, 2009, as a result of that injury.

Glen Footman, a 50-year-old Caucasian man, was walking with his boyfriend in the 600 block of Howard Street in Mount Vernon on Sept. 22, 2008, just before 1 a.m. Someone rode up to them on a bike. Footman's boyfriend kept walking, but Footman stopped to talk to the man. The boyfriend called to Footman, "Let's go," then heard two shots and saw the man on the bike ride away. Footman died on Nov. 9 of this year due to complications from the shooting.

Ralph Taylor, a 30-year-old African-American man, was shot in the head in the 100 block of West Cross Street near Cross Street Market in Federal Hill at 4:46 p.m. on Aug. 22, 1994. He died on Nov. 30 of this year; his death was ruled a result of the shooting.

Wayne Smith, a 31-year-old African-American man, was riding a mountain bike in the 2200 block of East Fayette Street at 5 p.m. on Nov. 25, 1998, when he was shot four times. He was paralyzed from the waist down. As of press time, police were unable to provide the date of Smith's death.

Monday, Nov. 30

12:38 p.m. An officer at the intersection of Whitelock Street and Druid Hill Avenue heard gunshots and followed the sound to the 1100 block of Whitelock in Reservoir Hill. An African-American man had been shot several times and was sitting on the curb. A handgun was found nearby. The man was taken to an area hospital and died an hour later. He had no identification on him at the time.

1:15 p.m. Joshuan Beasley, a 26-year-old African-American man, was shot several times in the 1000 block of North Carey Street in Sandtown-Winchester. He died at an area hospital later that day.

Wednesday, Dec. 2

7:09 p.m. Two people broke into a home in the 4700 block of Glenarm Avenue in Northeast Baltimore. The male suspect fled the building, but a witness to the home invasion held the female suspect at gunpoint until police arrived. A man was found inside the house bound up. He was dead. The female suspect, Bonnie Lizor, a 52-year-old Caucasian woman, was questioned by police. According to charging documents, Lizor admitted to conspiring to rob the victim and to bringing the rope with which he was bound. Police tracked down Austin Lassiter, a 27-year-old African-American man, using Lizor's cell phone. According to his charging documents, Lassiter admitted to the home invasion and to hitting the victim in the face and then tying him up. Lassiter allegedly told police that the man was alive and talking at the beginning of the robbery but stop responding during the course of the crime. Police have not yet released the name of the victim.

Thursday, Dec. 3

7:20 a.m. Quira Iqbal, a 17-year-old African-American girl, and her mother, a 59-year-old African-American woman, were found by police in their home in the 5500 block of Midwood Avenue in North Baltimore. The girl and her mother, who was a double amputee missing both legs, lived in the first-floor apartment of the house, and William Jones, a 32-year-old African-American man, lived in the apartment upstairs. According to police, Williams forced his way into the apartment and beat and stabbed both females. The 17-year-old died. Her mother was taken to a hospital in critical condition. Williams then allegedly found someone he knew and asked for a ride. The person took Williams to a nearby home and then called the police. Williams barricaded himself in the residence for an hour before the SWAT team went in and arrested him.

Saturday, Dec. 5

5:26 p.m. Corey Jones, a 20-year-old African-American man, was found in a grocery store in the 2700 block of Orleans Street in East Baltimore. He had been shot numerous times and died at an area hospital at 7:07 p.m.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More Stories

Blunderbusted (8/5/2010)
Two Maryland Men indicted in Arizona for illegal machine guns

The Big Hurt (8/4/2010)
Inmate claims gang-tied correctional officer ordered "hit"

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter