Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 5/24/2010

Murders this Week: 3
Murders this Year: 67

Wednesday, May 12

3:29 a.m. Michael Carroway, a 39-year-old African-American man, was shot repeatedly in the 4300 block of Daytona Avenue in Northwest Baltimore. He died at a nearby hospital at 3:59 a.m.

Friday, May 14

1 p.m. Jerome Booze Jr., a 30-year-old African-American man, was found underneath a porch in the 3300 block of Paton Avenue across from Pimlico Race Course. Booze had been shot and was dead. Gunshots had been reported in the area earlier that morning.

Saturday, May 15

1:15 a.m. A police officer was driving in the 2800 block of Harford Road when he was flagged down by someone who said a man was lying on the front porch of a house in that block and that he didnít appear to be breathing. The man was Michael Pryor, a 32-year-old African-American. He had been stabbed in the chest and died at a local hospital less than an hour later.


Three homicide victims from May 8 have been identified. The man shot in the neck in the 500 block of North Collington Avenue was Anthony Crist, a 42-year-old Caucasian man. The two men shot to death in a car in the 900 block of North Hill Road were Jerome Simmons, a 34-year-old African-American man, and George Toe, a 30-year-old African-American man.

On May 4, a Baltimore City Grand Jury indicted John Henry Adams, a 23-year-old Caucasian man, for murder. Adams has been charged with the Feb. 16, 2009, stabbing of James Flanary, a 23-year-old Caucasian man, in the 3900 block of Hanover Street. Keon Dorsey, a 22-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder on May 4. Dorsey hit Ellsworth Monroe-Bey, a 73-year-old African-American man, in the face and head in the 3900 block of West Belvedere Avenue on April 25, 2008. Monroe-Bey was knocked unconscious, and Dorsey stole the manís wallet. Monroe-Bey never regained consciousness and died on May 2, 2008. Dorsey was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Three people were indicted on May 5 for the murder of Gerrod Finch, a 21-year-old African-American man. Derrean Mills, a 17-year-old African-American male; Montell Mills, a 17-year-old African-American male; and Mishael Belcher, a 20-year-old African-American man, are charged with stabbing Finch to death on June 30, 2009. Finch was arguing with a female when the three males allegedly attacked him, stabbing him in the chest. The homicide was removed from the Baltimore Police Departmentís homicide tally because it was believed that Finchís girlfriend Tanaya Salter, a 21-year-old African-American woman, stabbed him in self-defense because he was beating her. It was later put back on the homicide rolls because Salterís statement was inconsistent with other witness reports. She was charged with Finchís murder on Aug. 17, 2009. According to an article in The Baltimore Sun, the three men indicted are part of the Bloods Tree Top Piru gang, and other gang members may have intimidated witnesses. All charges against Salter were dropped on April 20.

Also on May 5, Marvin Warner, a 23-year-old African-American man, was indicted for the Oct. 13, 2009, robbery and murder of Mark Johnson, a 31-year-old African-American man. Johnson was shot in the head in the 3200 block of West Lexington Street. On May 6, Matthew Evans, a 41-year-old African-American man, was convicted of murdering a fellow inmate in the Baltimore City Detention Center. The jury could not come to a decision on his co-defendant Tivon Wright, a 31-year-old African-American man. He will be retried. Evans stabbed Anthony Conaway, a 41-year-old African-American man, to death on March 13, 2006. Conaway was awaiting trial on a burglary charge. Conawayís murder was not included in 2006ís official homicide tally because the Baltimore Police Department doesnít count murders at the jail.

Darnell Jeter, a 45-year-old African-American man, was convicted of murder May 11. On March 25, 2007, Theresa Parker, a 39-year-old African-American woman, was found beaten to death in a vacant house in the 1200 block of Treeleaf Court in Oldtown. Jeterís DNA was found under Parkerís fingernails, and his fingerprints were on the hammer used to kill Parker. She was hit 16 times in the head and strangled during the attack.

Walter Taylor, a 29-year-old African-American man, pleaded guilty to murder and armed robbery among other charges on May 13. On Jan. 3, 2009, Taylor called the China Garden carry-out and ordered some delivery. When Tian Zin Wang, a 51-year-old Asian man and the owner of the carry-out, delivered the food to 800 Webb Court, Taylor and another man robbed Wang, shot him five times, and left him to die in the street. They then went to a nearby apartment and ate the food. Under the plea deal, Taylor will be sentenced to 40 years in prison. His co-defendant Ronald Gamble, a 19-year-old African-American man, has not yet gone to trial.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More Stories

Blunderbusted (8/5/2010)
Two Maryland Men indicted in Arizona for illegal machine guns

The Big Hurt (8/4/2010)
Inmate claims gang-tied correctional officer ordered "hit"

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter