Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 12/15/2004

Murders week of Dec. 6: 4
Murders this year: 270

The man killed on Dec. 5 in the 1600 block of Edmondson Avenue has been identified as Tarrik Nelson, a 27-year-old African-American man from Pikesville (Murder Ink, Dec. 8). Nelson had an arrest record with Baltimore police. And after a relatively quiet week and a bloody weekend in south and west Baltimore, the city’s total number of homicides for 2004 is just one murder shy of last year’s figure.

Wednesday, Dec. 8

12:20 a.m. James Powell, a 19-year-old African-American man, was hanging out with a group of friends in the 1600 block of West Pratt Street in Southwest Baltimore when an unknown person came over and started arguing with him. While Powell and the person were fighting, a second person came around the corner and started shooting at him. Powell fell to the ground and the gunman continued firing. According to police, at the time of Powell’s death there was a warrant out charging him with second-degree assault, use of a deadly weapon, and reckless endangerment.

Friday, Dec. 10

4:44 p.m. An unidentified African-American man was found shot several times in the head in the 300 block of North Fulton Avenue in West Baltimore. He was taken to Shock Trauma and was listed in critical condition. Police fingerprinted him the next day, and he was identified as Jamal Carter. When officers talked to Carter’s mother, she told detectives that her other son, Mustafa Rashid Carter, often used his brother’s name when he was arrested. She was taken to the hospital where she confirmed that 18-year-old Mustafa, not Jamal, was the one who had been shot. He died at 8:26 p.m. on Dec. 11. David Anthony Morris, a.k.a. Capone, a 19-year-old African-American man from South Baltimore’s Brooklyn neighborhood, has been arrested for the crime.

Saturday, Dec. 11

12:05 a.m. Police arrived on the scene of a shooting in the 400 block of Random Road near the Southwest city line and found Bryant Keith McCollum, a 35-year-old African-American man, lying on the sidewalk with blood around his head. McCollum was walking from his girlfriend’s house when he was shot in the head. McCollum had been released from jail just two months before his death.

10 p.m. Later that day, in Cherry Hill, police went to investigate an unresponsive man in a house in the 1400 block of West Patapsco Avenue. Michael John O’Laughlin, a 43-year-old white man who lived there, was found lying in bed, fully dressed. He was pronounced dead 20 minutes later. O’Laughlin and a friend had been in a fight the night before with two unknown men around 10 p.m. During the fight, O’Laughlin was punched in the face. He fell and hit his head on the pavement. He was unconscious for 15 minutes. When he woke up, his friend took him home. The friend later told police that O’Laughlin said he didn’t want to go to the hospital, he just wanted to go to sleep. The next day the friend got a call from O’Laughlin’s mother, who said O’Laughlin wasn’t breathing. He called 911, but it was too late.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More Stories

Blunderbusted (8/5/2010)
Two Maryland Men indicted in Arizona for illegal machine guns

The Big Hurt (8/4/2010)
Inmate claims gang-tied correctional officer ordered "hit"

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter