Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 2/9/2005

Murders This Week: 4
Murders this year: 37

It was a relatively quiet week, but the city still saw a steep rise in the homicide rate because two men who were attacked last year died in January—but weren’t reported by the Baltimore Police Department until this week—adding to the 2005 death toll. The first, Kenneth Hurt, a 45-year-old African-American man, died at 11:10 p.m. on Jan. 4 in a nursing home unit at Mercy Hospital. Hurt was severely beaten in the 1500 block of North Eden Street in East Baltimore’s Oliver neighborhood on Dec. 9. His death was deemed a result of that beating. The second, James Corbett, a 58-year-old African-American man from the Better Waverly neighborhood, died at Joseph Richey Hospice at 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 26 as a result of a beating he sustained more than six months ago. Corbett was stabbed in the arm and beaten on July 30 in the 2000 block of Greenmount Avenue in Barclay. Eric Hill, a 47-year-old African-American man from Ednor Gardens, was charged with the crime. Corbett is the fourth homicide victim this year whose initial injuries were not sustained in 2005.

Tuesday, Feb. 1

9:25 p.m. Tavon Lawson, a 22-year-old African-American man, was watching television inside a house in the 2700 block of Tivoly Avenue near Clifton Park with his brother, Antonio Davis. Davis’ gun accidentally went off and Lawson was hit in the head by the bullet. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital and died the next day. Police officers were unable to say exactly when Lawson died, but an autopsy was performed on Feb. 4. Davis, a 23-year-old African-American man, was arrested for the crime. Of the 37 murders this year, as of Feb. 7, Lawson’s homicide is one of 13 cleared by arrest.

Wednesday, Feb. 2

3:30 a.m. Lynwood McCaffity, a 28-year-old African-American man from Belair-Edison, walked out of Lu’s Chinese Carryout in the 2700 block of East Monument Street in Madison-Eastend when someone shot him repeatedly, hitting him the chest. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital and pronounced dead less than half an hour later.

Thursday, Feb. 3

11:40 p.m. Police officers responded to a call reporting gunshots in the 3700 block of Woodhaven Avenue in Northwest Baltimore. While canvassing the area they received another call reporting a body found on the sidewalk around the corner, in the 2900 block of Allendale Road. When they got there they found an African-American man lying on the sidewalk near an apartment complex. He had been shot in the head. He was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he died. Though the man has been identified through fingerprints, his name will not be released until his family has been notified of his death.

Sunday, Feb. 6

9:25 p.m. Antwan Taylor, a 20-year-old African-American man from Brooklyn, was standing on the front porch of a house in the 2300 block of Sidney Avenue in Westport when he was shot repeatedly. He died about an hour later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter