Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email


Eugene Hunt

Jefferson Jackson Steele
Eugene Hunt, 25

Posted 3/30/2005

Iíve been shot three times, but on two different occasions. First time I was shot once . . . in the right side of my chest over my stomach. Second time I was shot in my back and my knee. The most recent [shooting] was Nov. 2, 2002. I was shot in my back and in my leg.

Around 7 p.m. I was on my way to meet a friend on the 200 block of South Norris Street. These guys just came up the alley and said, ďDonít move.Ē I looked and saw the gun, so I took off across the street, running away from them. Thatís when he shot me in the back. I kept running, and he shot me in my leg. I still kept running. I ran, like, two blocks down to Carey and Pratt streets and stopped in a bar. I asked the bartender lady could she call the ambulance Ďcause I just been shot.

[The first time I was shot] I didnít know what was going to happen. After going through it and seeing the experience, you kinda realize donít panic because you waste more energy. Because you might need that stuff to help you stay alive [later]. I looked down and seen that it went straight through, and I thought that was better, ícause the first time [the bullet] stayed in. I told myself that it wasnít going to be as bad as the first time.

It was hard to breathe . . . to take a deep breath. It was like you been punched and canít get your breath back. I remember getting into the ambulance and thatís it. I blacked out after that.

It was two weeks later when I finally woke up. They asked me if I knew what the date was. I was thinking it was the next day. They said that Iíd been there two weeks. They said I had visitors coming by, but I didnít see nothing. I was asleep the whole time.

To get back up on my feet it took two months. I started walking around and trying to do little things for myself. It took almost a year to get to where I am now.

They did two different surgeries. They did the first [major] one, and then they did a skin graft. They took skin off my leg because they couldnít close my stomach back up [permanently] because my insides wasnít healing. They didnít wanna close me up on the outside without healing the inside first. They just did the skin graft so everything could just hang out and heal. Then they said they would call me back to get this [skin graft] removed and closed up.

Iím stuck like this. I look down at myself . . . it took a while before I could even look down at myself. I didnít want to see it. Iím coming around now, though. I feel like God got a purpose for me. Thatís why Iím still here. Because a lot of people donít get this second chance. [VIP] helped me a lot. They helped me to express myself about how I feel and everything.

Basically, the streets is not whatís happening. People will betray you and cross over you for pennies on the dollar. Thereís a lot of jealousy, hate, and envy on the streets. Thatís where a lot of violence comes from, because somebody sees you with something that they ainít gotóthey want it. To prevent it, you to stay away from it. Try to stay involved in a lot of things much as you can. Just try to stay busy, and stay away from that . . . and thatís what Iím trying to do with myself now.

Related stories

Feature archives

More Stories

The Lady Vanishes (8/4/2010)
Meet Henrietta Vinton Davis-one of the most amazing women you've probably never heard of

David Franks (1/27/2010)
Birthdate unknown-Jan. 14, 2010

A. Robert Kaufman (1/6/2010)
March 8, 1931-Dec. 25, 2009

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter