Sign up for our newsletters   

Baltimore City Paper home.
Print Email

Murder Ink

By Anna Ditkoff | Posted 5/18/2005

Murders This Week: 8
Murders This Year: 91

A man who was shot three months ago in the 2200 block of West North Avenue died on May 8. Dewarn Spencer, a 27-year-old African-American man, allegedly got into an argument on Feb. 11 with Delontae Lang, a 19-year-old African-American man, at about 8:40 p.m. Lang left, returned with his half-brother Aubrey Lang, and they allegedly shot Spencer repeatedly. Delontae Lang was arrested on April 1 and Aubrey Lang was arrested on April 11.

Monday, May 8

1:40 a.m. Charles Parks, a 25-year-old African-American man, was in the 600 block of Scott Street in Washington Village, near the B&O Railroad Museum, when four men drove up in a Lincoln Town Car, got out, and stabbed him in the neck. When police arrived Parks was standing in the block with blood streaming down his chest. He was taken to Hopkins and stopped breathing, but was revived by doctors. Later that day, police tracked down the car and found four African-American men in their 20s—Terry Anderson, Emory Lewis, Darren Borwn, and Charles Dutton—with blood on their clothes. According to police, Anderson and Dutton were on parole, and Brown was on probation. Parks died at 5:50 a.m. May 9.

Wednesday, May 11

3:40 p.m. Vernon Saunders, a 41-year-old African-American man, got into an argument about money with another man in the 200 block of Herring Court in Fells Point. The man pulled out a baseball bat or a large stick and hit Saunders in the head. Saunders was found lying in the street unconscious. He was taken to Hopkins Hospital and put under observation, but was pronounced dead at 3:20 p.m. on May 13.

9:40 p.m. Six hours later, officers were in the Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood when they heard gunshots. When they got to the 1600 block of North Gilmor Street they found three shooting victims on the street. A woman was shot in the leg, a man was shot in the upper torso, and another woman was shot in the back. They were all taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The first two victims survived, but the woman who was shot in the back, Nachia Carter, a 23-year-old African-American woman, went into cardiac arrest and died on her way to the hospital. Carter is the 13th woman to be murdered in Baltimore this year. In 2004, 32 women were murdered.

Thursday, May 12

12:05 a.m. Charles Anderson, a 19-year-old African-American man, was standing in the 4100 block of Audrey Avenue in Brooklyn when three men approached him. Anderson and one of the men began fighting between two cars. Anderson walked out from behind one of the cars holding his chest and said that he had been stabbed. The three men fled, and police officers found Anderson lying on the ground bleeding from his chest and side. He was taken to Shock Trauma but was pronounced dead less than an hour later. Preston Nichols, a 19-year-old African-American man who also lives in Brooklyn, was arrested the next day.

Saturday, May 14

2:50 a.m. Police found Terrance Smith, a 20-year-old African-American man, in the driver’s seat of his car in the 5000 block of Norwood Avenue in Northwest Baltimore. Smith had been shot repeatedly and was pronounced dead on the scene.

7:50 p.m. Later that night, Duane Fromeberger, a 41-year-old African-American man, was at the corner of Giles and Shellbanks in Cherry Hill when he was shot repeatedly. He was pronounced dead on the scene 15 minutes later.

Sunday, May 15

4:30 a.m. Damon Aldridge, a 22-year-old African-American man, was found in the 100 block of Diener Place in Irvington near Mount Saint Joseph High School. He had been shot in the head and body and was pronounced dead on the scene at 4:45 a.m. Sixty African-American men over the age of 18 have been murdered this year.

Related stories

Murder Ink archives

More from Anna Ditkoff

Murder Ink (8/4/2010)

Love, True Love (7/28/2010)
A satire pokes fun at romantic notions

Murder Ink (7/28/2010)

Comments powered by Disqus
CP on Facebook
CP on Twitter